When a patient is told that they should take a multivitamin, sometimes they wonder why they should take it. They wonder what the different vitamins do for them and the advantages of the different vitamins. Here are some of the more common vitamins and what they do for the body.
- Vitamin A – This helps to keep skin, mucus membranes, and eyes moist. It also helps to prevent cellular and tissue damage through neutralizing the free radicals.
- Vitamin C – This helps in healing wounds, promoting an immune system that is strong, and helps to keep gums and teeth healthy.
- Vitamin D – This aids in the health of teeth and bone, supports the functions of muscles and nerves, and helps to prevent osteoporosis.
- Vitamin E- This is an antioxidant which helps in blood clotting and neutralizes damage to cells.
- Vitamin K – This is something that is needed for clotting the blood and also helps in bone repair and growth and function of kidneys.
- B Vitamins – These include all of the B vitamins play really big roles in cell production as well as maintenance, cardiovascular and nervous system function, and help in converting protein into necessary energy.
As you can see, there are a lot of different things that vitamins do for the body and why they are so important to someone being healthy. When you are getting a good balanced diet full of fruits and vegetables, sometimes you aren’t going to need a multivitamin. But if you don’t eat the right things and your body isn’t getting what it needs from the food you eat, a multivitamin is the thing that can put into your body what food isn’t giving you. Vitamins all do something for your body and they are all necessary. Make sure that your body is getting them, one way or another.